Blog

Monday, January 11, 2010

New Books!

I spent three freezing cold days in New Orleans last week attending the 2010 Delaney Book Launch. Many of our wonderful publishers were there with new books from their spring lists. I love new books. I love touching them, seeing the pictures, reading the text. I look forward to sharing them with you here on my blog.

I had lunch the first day with my boss at a hole in the wall restaurant in an alley behind the hotel in the French Quarter. I was glad it was daylight! I had coffee and beignets with my roommate at Cafe du Monde. I listened to publishers. I had more coffee and beignets at Cafe du Monde with my daughter who drove over from Hattiesburg for the afternoon.

We ate dinner in front of a fire at a tiny little restaurant a few blocks from Jackson Square where we watched the Joan of Arc parade. It was the lady's birthday, and the parade came complete with Joan riding her horse with sword lifted, a fully armored knight, friars, maidens, and a host of somewhat normal people carrying lighted candles.

Here's an exciting new series from Bearport Publishing, called Amphibiana. What a great cover! It makes me want to read. How about you? It's high interest/low level reading. ATOS levels aren't in yet, but it should be about third grade reading level. With habitat maps, vivid photographs, and fact boxes, this series should be a hit with the kids. Natalie Lunis is the author of this one, but the set includes other writers.

Complete set includes:
Amazing Water Frogs
Leaping Ground Frogs
Little Newts
Slimy Salamanders
Tricky Tree Frogs
Warty Toads

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely trip, Doraine! I didn't realize your daughter lives in Hattiesburg... I am going to Fay B Kaigler this year -- come with me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene, I've seriously thought about going to the Kaigler conference. Haven't checked on dates yet. Going with you would be loads of fun.

    ReplyDelete