Blog

Friday, September 9, 2011

Poetry Friday: Jean Nordhaus


From Jean Nordhaus, this lovely poem brightened my Poetry Friday. I hope it does the same for you.

More Poetry Friday at Secrets & Sharing Soda.





Under the Sign of Isadora,


my lonely mother taught me dancing.
It was afternoon, her cleaning done.
We climbed to the carpeted room
under the roof.  Sunlight had entered
before us, warm prayer rugs unrolled
on the carpet.  We took off our shoes
and closed the door.

Whatever she did, I repeated.
When she raised her arms
to touch the sky, I lifted mine.
If she bent low, sweeping the grass
with her arms, I did the same.
I would be water. In me
she would watch herself move between past

and future, my infant steps
continuing the figures hers began

Read the rest here.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this has indeed made me smile this evening. Love it. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the introduction to Jean Nordhaus, Dori! I enjoyed exploring her poems via your link.

    ReplyDelete