Blog

Friday, February 17, 2012

Poetry Friday: A Love Poem

Valentines Day is past, but I'm still enjoying the flowers my sweet man brought me. I hope you found lots of love to celebrate this week. 




What the Light Would Say
by
Dale Ritterbusch

 
In the language of the Dakota
um pa o wasta we
means beautiful daybreak woman.
I imagine a Dakota warrior
returning from the hunt
to a woman lying in the light
of early morning, and the warrior
slips in next to her, touches her face
and says the words
that tighten her arms around him.
When I touch your face
in the half-light of early morning
I have nothing to bring you—
no talisman or wild boar, no stories,
nothing but the fall of my hand
upon your shoulders brushing away
stray threads of raven hair
making way for a small kiss
in the breath of a light breeze.
And my breath speaks in a language
I no longer understand,
where any word I might say
in the most inarticulate resonance
of a touch breaks and burns
like a covey of birds rising to the sun,
rising until their feathers become light
and every wingbeat sings
as I reach my arms around you
O beautiful daybreak woman.

From Far From the Temple of Heaven (Black Moss Press, 2005)

Poetry Friday roundup is over at Gathering Books.

2 comments:

  1. Doraine, that is beautiful - and the perfect photograph to go with it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete