Blog

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

National Poetry Month



There is so much going on in the Kidslitosphere this month. Fortunately the delicious Jama Rattigan is keeping up with it all. So stop over at Jama's Alphabet Soup to explore all the poetic possibilities.

I have been an armchair poet the last few Aprils, not fully trusting myself to make a commitment to post a poem every single day of the month. But this year, I've decided to dive in. As I have explored poetry forms lately, I found myself enjoying the very simple cinquain and all the possibilities it holds. See this post for a lovely example from Myra Cohn Livingston.

I'm going to be kind to myself if I don't manage to get one written every single day, but I'm trying not to leave myself too much wiggle room either! So let's get started with my first cinquain of the month.

Rules 

Five lines
carry the thought,
counting syllables--two,
four, six, eight, two--creating one
cinquain.

© Doraine Bennett




1 comment:

  1. One down, 29 to go! Can't wait to see what the month will bring in this collection of cinquains!

    ReplyDelete