Blog

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

One Little Word for 2018



STRETCH

What does this year hold? There is no way to know, but we can begin the year with an intention to open our hearts to the people, circumstances, and challenges that we will encounter.

Over the last few months of 2017, I have often felt David’s instruction in the Psalms to “lean not to your own understanding, but in all your ways acknowledge him” resonate in my heart. I feel very conscious of how much I don’t understand. It is sometimes challenging to move beyond our own perspective and realize our limitations.

With that in mind as I move into this new year, I feel the Lord’s encouragement to grow, to open my heart without fear, to strengthen body, soul, and spirit. I have always loved the image used in Isaiah, chapter 54. Verse two says this. “Enlarge the place of your tent, stretch your tent curtains wide, do not hold back; lengthen your cords, strengthen your stakes.” This was spoken to people who lived in tents. God was telling them to make room in their hearts, in their homes, in their minds, to make space, room to grow. Not to hold back even with all the challenges that might come along.

So that's my intention for the year--to grow, open my heart, and strengthen my body. To stretch in every way I can. 

Margaret hosts the Spiritual Journey Thursday roundup over at Reflections on the Teche

9 comments:

  1. Stretching is good for the body, mind, and the heart. Thanks for joining the round up today. I wish you an abundance of love, hope, and peace in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you stretching in all the ways possible! Love the tent quote. And also this: "I feel very conscious of how much I don’t understand." It is in this place where I find myself. Thank you for naming it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How perfect, Dori, with your yoga business, to choose the word Stretch. I too love that Isaiah 54 quote! May your tent expand in all dimensions. I think you're in for a good year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stretch should be a wonderful word to focus on to enrich your life AND the lives of those you touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Dori. A good reminder that stretching is good for us, mind, body, and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dori, hello. "To stretch in every way I can" is a beautiful thought.
    Appreciations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dori, I love how you wove scripture into this post in support of your intent to stretch yourself this year. As a yoga instructor you must open your heart daily to those who are looking for a way to grow as a yogi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. stretch ... great word. Stretch limits, our loves, our goals, our beliefs. to stretch is to make more room.
    LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stretch was my OLW one year. I loved all the ways it could be applied to life circumstances. Love your intention to stretch in every way you can. And I love how you feel the Lord's encouragement to grow and to open your heart without fear. Thanks for sharing scripture in your post.

    ReplyDelete