Blog

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Earthquake!

You never know when you're going to need a little information.

After a wonderful week with my grandchildren (I'll post pictures next week. The camera went back to Georgia with my husband), I flew to San Diego for a Delaney business conference. I love my book selling job. I've met some wonderful new friends. I get to stay up to date on what's happening in the educational publishing world.

This trip was a tough one. Note to self: build in a day of rest between grandchildren (four energy packed, lively, lovely little Bennetts, two days at Sea World where I got so blistered in the Texas sun I could hardly stand for the grandbabies to sit in my lap!) and business meetings!

So at the end of the second day, I was practically falling asleep on my feet. I went to my room on the seventh floor of the Catamaran hotel tower. I'd been dozing for about 10 minutes when it felt like my grandchildren were standing on opposite corners of the bed pushing with all their might. I came fully awake, sat straight up and asked my roommate, What's happening?

Earthquake!

It was a small one, 5.4 on the Richter scale, but the building was definitely rocking. No one around here thought much of it. Everything went on pretty much as normal. But you never know.

So if you're planning on a trip to the West Coast, go out and buy this book!

How to Survive an Earthquake by Heather Montgomery

By the way, Heather e-mailed me to say I did the right thing--just stay in bed!

1 comment:

  1. Ack! I'd better go buy one before I go to SCBWI-LA! Think they'll give us pointers at the conference??? Only if Heather is there!

    ReplyDelete