Blog

Friday, July 16, 2010

Two Voices in a Meadow

It's Poetry Friday. I love searching through my favorite poems for gems to share here. As I browsed through my copy of Richard Wilbur, I came across this poem that captures the two emotional extremes that we can so easily drift toward as writers. I don't know what Wilbur was thinking about as he wrote it, but it struck me today as a perfect picture of the struggle we face learning to keep a balanced perspective of ourselves.



"Two Voices in a Meadow"
by Richard Wilbur

A Milkweed

Anonymous as cherub
Over the crib of God,
White seeds are floating
Out of my bust pod.

What power had I
Before I learned to yield?
Shatter me, great wind:
I shall possess the field.






A Stone

As casual as cow-dung
Under the crib of God,
I lie where chance would have me,
Up to the ears in sod.
Why should I move? To move
Befits a light desire.
The sill of Heaven would founder,
Did such as I aspire.



Wishing you milkweed dreams and rock solid goals this week.




Poetry Friday roundup is hosted by Heidi at My Juicy Little Universe.

7 comments:

  1. You're right. Sometimes I'm up for the shattering, and other times I'm at my best when I'm completely still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we need a little of both just as stimulating the right brain helps develop the left brain.

    Laura Evans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lee, I agree. I'm the same way. Stillness is often a good mode for me to operate in. And too, there is great beauty in brokenness offered with grace.

    Laura, That's a good comparison, one works to stimulate the other.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting pairing these make. I'm wondering about "crib of G-d" in both poems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think of earth as the "crib of God," the place where life begins and grows for us as people and for all of nature. I know there's more out there in the universe besides Earth, but as mere mortals, this is where we find ourselves planted and nurtured. Just my take.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Toby, Personally, I like the milkeweed, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these both. And was unfamiliar with them. Thanks for sharing! The milkweed resonates with me, but I'd like a little stone time right now, too:>)

    ReplyDelete