Blog

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Poetry Friday: Talking with Light


What Does Light Talk About?
by St. Thomas Aquinas

When you recognize her beauty,
the eye applauds, the heart stands in an ovation,

and the tongue when she is near
is on its best behavior,

it speaks more like light.

What does light talk about?
I asked a plant that once,

It said, "I am not sure,
but it makes me
grow."


My response to the recent challenge -- Write a Me poem.


Spinning

We lie in grass
thick as August
cradled between
our two homes--
one summer blue,
one gray with age--
and watch while clouds
hurl in circles
overhead,
slowly settling
into shapes
only we
can see.

© Doraine Bennett 2015



Happy Poetry Friday. Lift your face to the light and grow.

Visit Michelle at Today's Little Ditty for the roundup.

8 comments:

  1. Indeed, 'the eye applauds". We have so much light in Colorado, Dori, that I am also fascinated by the shadows it makes with trees and plants, structures, too. I love your 'me' poem, wonder if it's the 'me' between youth and growing old? Another way of looking at the light also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both lovely! I like your reference to colors. I'm reading Alice Hoffman's newest, The Marriage of Opposites and the color blue plays a major role! I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poem for Lee's challenge is lovely. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the St. Thomas Aquinas poem and the gorgeous accompanying photo. And yours! I'm SO glad you joined in the challenge this month, Dori! Just beautiful. I have fond memories of cloud watching too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Doraine...your ME poem takes me to that place - and I love "slowly settling/into shapes/only we/can see." And that question, "What does light talk about?" is so provocative...I am thinking about other surprising juxtapositions in questions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love thinking about what light talks about! And your poem is so lovely and speaks to me of something really profound about the middle stage of life. I love it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your poem. What a beautiful moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for all your encouraging comments.

    ReplyDelete