Blog

Friday, October 30, 2015

O October!

Photo by Wildcat Dunny


I love this quote from Rainbow Rowell's book, Attachments. I heard it read recently in a yoga class and went in search of the source. Rowell is the author of Eleanor and Park and Fan Girl. Attachments was her first novel. I've added it to my "want to read" pile.

I'm taking liberties with the lines, making it a found poem. It should really be a poem!

October, 
baptize me with leaves!
Swaddle me in corduroy
and nurse me with split pea soup. 

October, 
tuck tiny candy bars 
in my pockets and
carve my smile
into a thousand pumpkins.

O autumn!
O teakettle!
O grace!

Happy Autumn! I've been out of town and out of town and out of town. Now I'm writing and writing and writing. So if you've read this elsewhere lately, well, enjoy it again. Stop by A Year of Reading where Mary Lee is hosting the roundup. 

4 comments:

  1. I love those two books by Rainbow Rowell, and she has a new one just out too, although I still haven't read it. I didn't know about Attachments, Dori. This is lovely as a found poem, all those verbs calling up beautiful October memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That line "baptize me with leaves" brought back so many memories of raking and playing in the leaves from the maple in our front yard. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that line "baptize me with leaves", too! What a fun memory of being covered with leaves!
    Great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Dori. I went through a Rainbow Rowell binge. Attachments is a really wonderful book. It's more like Fangirl than Eleanor and Park. You're going to love it. These are such great lines!

    October,
    tuck tiny candy bars
    in my pockets and
    carve my smile
    into a thousand pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete