Blog

Friday, June 19, 2009

Press Op With Colin Powell

Saying I'm a writer does not equate to saying I'm a journalist. I'm not a journalist. I'll never be a journalist. I don't shout out questions and demand answers. I don't fight to get to the front of the pack with my trusty little Nikkon CoolPix on which I can't always remember which setting works best.


Today however, I joined the press corps, turned on my recorder and snapped photos of Colin Powell from a distance of about six feet. It was a treat.
It was the official opening of the National Infantry Museum at Fort Benning, Ga. It's an amazing place. State of the art exhibits that rival the best musuems in the country dedicated to the Infantry Soldier.


It was hot. As Gen. Powell said of his first army home, "It's not officially Columbus unless it's 95 degrees in the shade."








But hundreds of people braved the heat to watch the ribbon cutting ceremony and hear
Powell speak.




I don't know who made the cake shaped like the museum, but Gen. Powell and Gen. White cut it with a saber.

He's a very gracious man. It was a pleasure to take part in the ceremonies.












2 comments:

  1. Hi, my name is Becky White and I made the cake for the opening. It was cut by Congressman Sanford Bishop and Colin Powell. The cake was presented to the museum in honor of Congressman Bishop. Thank you for posting the picture - it's the first one I've seen online!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Becky for sorting out the cake cutters for me. I was so far in the back at that point, I couldn't see much. It was a beautiful piece of art. What a great contribution to the day!

    ReplyDelete