Blog

Friday, August 20, 2010

Spider Poetry for Friday



This small spider, which you probably can't even see, wove an enormous web in the bush beside my front door and laid her eggs in the white web casing.








And this monster is beneath the eave at the back door.



So for Poetry Friday, here are gossamer words from Walt Whitman. I hope they encourage you to launch for into new ventures.





A Noiseless Patient Spider
by Walt Whitman

A noiseless patient spider,
I marked where on a promontory it stood isolated,
Marked how to explore the vacant vast surrounding,
It launched forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself,
Ever unreeling them, ever tirelessly speeding them.

And you O my soul where you stand,
Surrounded, detached, in measureless oceans of space,
Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing, seeking the spheres to connect them,
Till the bridge you will need be formed, till the ductile anchor hold,
Till the gossamer thread you fling catch somewhere, O my soul.

More Poetry Friday hosted by Laura at Teach Poetry K-12.

2 comments:

  1. Great photos (I found the spider in the top one!!!) and one of my favorite Whitman poems to go with it. Thanks for the gift! This is, indeed, spider season. I walk in the early morning, and am constantly brushing spider web from my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping in, Mary Lee. I nearly ran straight into that big spider's web yesterday. It extends from the eave down about four or five feet. One filament attached to the wind chime and another to the recycling bin on the ground. It's astonishing.

    ReplyDelete