Blog

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Bobbi Katz




"Imitation is not just the sincerest form of flattery - it's the sincerest
form of learning."— George Bernard Shaw

Welcome to Day 10 of FEET IN THE CREEK. 

Week 2 Poets:
April 8: Janet Wong
April 9: George Ella Lyon

For each day I have chosen a favorite poem, a favorite poet, or a favorite friend. I will look at the work, decide what draws me to it, what makes it resonate for me, and then write my own poem about the creek with those techniques in mind. These are first drafts, so nothing will be especially polished, but they will be starting points for revision after the month is done. Feel free to follow along or join in.

Today's poet is Bobbi Katz, author of Pocket Poems and More Pocket Poems. Click here to explore some of Bobbi's other books.


Illustrations by Marylin Hafner, @2013.

Illustrations by Deborah Femke, ©2009.

Cat Kisses

Sandpaper kisses
on a cheek or chin-
that is the way
for a day to begin!

Sandpaper kisses-
a cuddle, a purr.
I have an alarm clock
that's covered with fur.

Copyright renewed, 1996. Used with permission of Bobbi Katz, who controls all rights.

My Intention: Write a short poem with rhyme that compares something in the creek with a familiar daily activity.


Bath Time

Cool water
washes my feet,
cleans my toes,
scrubs my knees.

I'll take my bath here
under the trees.
I don't understand
why mom disagrees.

© Doraine Bennett, 2016. All rights reserved.


Week 1 poets:
April 1: Ralph Fletcher
April 2: Douglas Florian
April 3: Progressive poem. Catch up here.
April 4: Michelle Heidenrich Barnes
April 5: Walt Whitman
April 6: Irene Latham
April 7: Carmen Bernos de Gasztold

1 comment:

  1. Aww, I love that furry alarm clock. :) And I love where you went with this... reminds me of my mom fussing when we'd rush out to wash our hair from the rain coming off the eaves of the house. xo

    ReplyDelete