Blog

Monday, July 16, 2012

Mysterious Little Old Ladies

I am a sucker for little old ladies who solve mysteries.

I read every Mrs. Polifax book written by Dorothy Gilman. Bored with her routine life of garden club meetins, she wanders into the CIA to apply for a job and accidentally becomes a spy. The delightful Mrs. Polifax always wears a hat. She's my kind of girl. Rosalind Russell starred as Mrs. Polifax in a 1971 film with Darren McGavin.

Back in 1998, Angela Lansbury starred in a pilot movie called The Unexpected Mrs. Polifax. She would have been a perfect Mrs. Polifax. Unfortunately the writers tried to cram about four books into a two-hour pilot. It wasn't Mrs. Lansbury's fault the series didn't work.





Yes, I watched all those old episodes of Murder, She Wrote, too. What's not to love about a writer who solves mysteries. Angela Lansbury as Jessica Fletcher was always hurrying about in Copper's Cove, Maine, figuring out whodunnit.




Recently my hubby and I have gotten hooked on the Miss Marple series produced by BBC with Geraldine McEwan as the dear little lady. I love McEwan's expressive face. She commands attention, laughter, intrigue with every nuance of that marvelous face. A raised eyebrow, a knowing smile, the tilt of her head that accompanies a simple, "Really?"  I am usually pretty good at figuring out whodunnit, but not in this series. I haven't even come close. Not once. I don't know how she does it. Pick a "she" -- Ms. Christie, Miss Marple, Ms. McEwan. Delightful!

Last week, I was getting ready to take a shower. I sat on the edge of the tub, turned on the water and waited. And waited. When my hubby walked down the hall, I told him something was the matter.We didn't have any hot water. I solved the mystery pretty quickly when I realized I had turned on the cold. Oh dear. Today is my birthday. I wonder how old you have to be to qualify as a little old lady.






1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha! I wish I could say I'd never turned on the cold water, waiting...but that would be a lie. Just makes us more intresting, right? :-)

    I can say, too, that I love all those silver-haired sleuths. And all the hair colors in between!

    ReplyDelete