Blog

Friday, November 18, 2011

Poetry Friday: Gold Leaves by G.K. Chesterton



The last month has been an emotional roller coaster. My mother fell and went into the hospital about three weeks ago. From there to a rehab nursing home. This week my dad and brother and I had to make the decision for her to remain in their care. It has been very stressful, but we are confident that this is the best decision for her and for my dad, who also suffers some health issues. I am so grateful for the kind staff who has worked with us to get her situated.

So aging has been much on my mind lately. My husband and I have four living parents in their eighties. Three are aging gracefully, minds in tact and bodies simply slowing down. Not so my mother. It saddens me and makes me think on the days that remain in my life, the words yet to be written, the joys yet to be lived, the struggles yet to be faced. I want to live them well, to bring honor to the Creator who put me here, to recognize "the million masks of God" and do what I can so that "when I come to autumn," the leaves are gold.



Gold Leaves

Lo! I am come to autumn,
When all the leaves are gold;
Grey hairs and golden leaves cry out
The year and I are old.

In youth I sought the prince of men,
Captain in cosmic wars,
Our Titan, even the weeds would show
Defiant, to the stars.

But now a great thing in the street
Seems any human nod,
Where shift in strange democracy
The million masks of God.

In youth I sought the golden flower
Hidden in wood or wold,
But I am come to autumn,
When all the leaves are gold.

       ---Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Tabatha Yeats hosts Poetry Friday today at The Opposite of Indifference.

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, beautiful choice to share, Doraine - thanks. And thoughts and prayers for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, simply lovely. Please crosspost to FB when you blog! love, ash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poem. I understand the issues of aging parents as my mom has begun to have issues as well.

    ReplyDelete