Blog

Monday, June 6, 2016

Summer Reads


Set in the sixties in Denver, Colorado, a single woman, Kitty, who owns a book store with her friend Frieda wakes up in an alternate dream universe as Katharine, a married woman with three children. Swanson's first novel is intriguing and captivating as she moves seamlessly between  these alternate realities. There are moments when I felt like Swanson was working too hard to place the reader solidly in the sixties. In fact, I am still uncertain as to why she chose the sixties as the backdrop for the story. But that aside, I was quickly drawn into these two worlds and often wondered how she was going to reconcile dream with reality. No spoilers here. You'll need to read it for yourself. A good summer read.

Next on my list: a modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice. I love all things Jane Austen, so I'm looking forward to reading. I'll let you know what I think.


1 comment:

  1. When I went to look up "The Bookseller," I was diverted to a book called "The Little Paris Bookshop." It looks like something you might like, Dori.
    I hope "Eligible" is good!

    ReplyDelete